Wednesday, June 07, 2006
Bracing For The Cut
If you sense that layoffs are coming, here are some tips on how to prepare.
1) If you need to go to the doctor or the dentist, do it now while you still have benefits. Then, when you leave, go on COBRA to keep your coverage for as long as you can.
2) Update your resume, and start networking.
3) Negotiate a severance package - if you can.
4) Make sure to take your 401(k) investments with you. Corporations have a way of reabsorbing them into their own blob-like treasuries.
5) Put away your credit cards until you start working again.
6) Leave on good terms, if at all possible. Even if you totally despise the sons of bitches - and who the hell can blame you? - you must remain in Smiley Face Mode to avoid eating next year's Thanksgiving dinner at The Mission.
"Expert advice: prepare for layoff" from The Coloradoan